AuthorMessage
Green_shoes

Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

Hip-hop Empty
PostSubject: Hip-hop   Hip-hop I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:49 am

Probably Blooge would be able to help me out here. The closest thing to hip-hop I have at the moment is a Gym Class Heroes album. I want some decent hip-hop to try out to see if I can get into it at all. Recommendations anyone?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

Hip-hop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop   Hip-hop I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:52 am

Gym Class Heroes is as close to hip-hop as Carcass or Immortal are.

I doubt you'd like "decent" hip-hop, or rather, rap music. You'd probably only like the shitty stuff, like Gym Class Heroes.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

Hip-hop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop   Hip-hop I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:56 am

I know that GCH is pretty far from it. I hear some songs on the radio and tv at times and I don't mind them but I never catch the artist. I just want to give the genre a go. I've always avoided it due to hating anything not related to metal back when I was younger but I've expanded my tastes in recent years and I think its time to give hip hop, rap etc a go.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

Hip-hop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop   Hip-hop I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:40 am

Me expanding my tastes is what made me constrict my input of rap, and I feel better for it. You may be better off continuing to avoid it, only because you'll feel teased at hearing some increasingly incredible stuff to only be letdown to realize that you are in fact watching/listening to the devolution and death of the genre rather than the advancement of it. Most the only rap I listen to nowadays is what I call the "Golden Era" of rap, which is basically the early to mid/late nineties stuff. The supposed underground stuff I used to swear by is increasingly uninteresting and vapid, and seems to simultaneously aim at the wrong thing as well as miss the mark. Of the underground stuff I liked when it was first being exposed as I was a teenager, at least half is excruciating to listen to now, and the other half is mostly artists that I still like their old records of, but can't stand them nowadays. All that being said, you should probably just familiarize yourself with the classics, because they will then be better at leading you to more stuff that still remains to be actually good.

OutKast (specifically the first three albums, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ATLiens and Aquemini especially). Sample: