The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

crack open a bear

Go down 
+13
dcbesc
jthefrank
Shrike
roughdraft_zero
tuggernuts
Clinton70
Hollow_Viscus
Electroretard
IAmHeavenSent
Cghost21
Green_shoes
Loxx O)))
After_The_Barrel_Roll
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21
AuthorMessage
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

crack open a bear - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 10:10 pm

It says it's good until a month or two from now, but I'm pretty sure Sam Adams does it 6-12 months for the "freshest by" dates

120 Min IPA isn't what I consider an IPA. It's cool every once in a while to switch things up.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 am

Had a Sierra Nevada DevESTATEtion Black IPA. Really liked it but it was so mild, it lacked all excitement and enthusiasm. It was just good, but so mild-mannered it was almost boring it was so easy and unnoteworthy to drink.

Having some Lagunitas NightTime Ale now. Much more noticeably stronger in the alcohol department, and I've smelled and tasted some ales and lagers that remind me of marijuana, but this shit smells and even tastes like they used equal parts bud and cone hops. It's a really unique satisfying taste, but also strong enough and bitter enough that I can only take small sips. I'm wondering what it will be like as it gets warmer. I may be pouring the last of it out haha

Overall good haul and good combination (and luckily also choice of order) for the evening. Kinda ticked that DevESTATEtion costs ten bucks for being so plain, though.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 am

DevESTATEtion is old AF at this point and is probably a slightly toned down stout with very little hop notes. Even when fresh it was much more focused on the malts than the hops.

I have yet to find Night Time, but I really want to try it. Lagunitas really likes the dank aroma that can come from certain hop varietals.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 8:11 pm

u guys r dum for not keeping this going.

went to Perdition Smokehouse which turns out to be owned by The Trappist. I came for food, but it turned out to be their happy hour and they were pretty dead when I got there. Employee was really nice about letting me try many samples before I ended up buying anything. For most beers they had the option to buy a 10 oz, a 16 oz, or a 64 oz serving.

I ended up trying quite a few beers, all of which were good. Prairie Standard, some saison w/ black pepper and coriander, a Berliner Weisse with a weird name, Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose (this one was awesome), Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast (this was pretty damn good), Faction Anomaly "Pale Milk Stout" (if you look at it it looks like a pale ale, but it tastes like a slightly sweeter stout), Cellarmaker Super Cascade, and some barrel aged Maibock which was nice and fruity tasting even though my friends picked up on more of the bourbon in it than I did. Only thing that sucked was I was waiting in line for another beer before happy hour ended, but once I actually was able to order it was no longer happy hour so I had to pay more for my final beer. Afterwards I went to Whole Foods and it seems like the bay area is just now receiving distribution of Victory Dirt Wolf. Found a last bottle of Prairie Cherry Funk too which was cool. They still had a ton of Barrel Aged Narwhal, but 20 bucks is a bit steep to me right now. I may go back to buy one eventually, but I hate spending that much on a single bottle of beer.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm

I usually just drink Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, or Irish Death. Not a whole lot to report on my front. The places around here don't have the biggest variety (though, it's much larger than it was in MS).
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Be on the lookout for a ~20$ 4pk of Arrogant bastard which has Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, Lukcy Basartd, and an exclusive Bourbon barrel aged Arrogant Bastard. I did the math and you're essentially paying the cost of those three Bastard beers and getting the barrel aged version for free.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 12:02 am

I've seen that on their website but never actually seen one out in a store.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 9:02 am

I have yet to see a single BCBS beer. Guess special beer releases are turning into the next premium bourbon market. If I see the Vanilla Rye I'm going to stock up and sell it to all these ass hats that probably think Westy 12 is worth 30$ a bottle and that they should trade for Pliny that will arrive a month or more after it has been put on shelves.

I've tasted Heady Topper, Pliny (younger and elder), and Hopslam and white Pliny does shit allllllllll over Hopslam, Heady Topper is pretty damn good and maybe even beats out Pliny.

I'll be getting in 2 Eclipse stouts soon even though I probably won't do the pre-order bullshit again. I did the math for the shipping and it's coming out to the same price the bottles cost in the god damn stores.

Lastly, The Rare Barrel in Berkeley is a fantastic sour brewery, but I can't help but dislike the pricing of their bottles and their membership program. You pay ~20$ for a 22 oz at the brewery, but the people who buy the membership are getting 10 bottles for 300$ which obv would mean the membership people are paying 30$ per bottle and are putting money down way ahead of the time that they'll be getting the finished product. I wouldn't recommend trading for their beers mainly because beer trading is just too expensive with shipping, but if you are ever in berkeley area you'd be an idiot to not visit them and the Torpedo Room.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Fuck overhopped IPAs.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 6:08 pm

u proly like rogue beers fgt
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
u proly like rogue beers fgt
Man, and people I know call me an elitist (about whatever).  They have no idea  Smile

I went through about 50 various Red Hook, Sierra Nevada, and other various pseudo-micro brews that I got as birthday presents over the last couple weeks.  And some Rogue.  Nothing over 9% or hip I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 3:28 am

Haha I'm known as the asshole in my group of beer drinking friends because I specifically refuse to drink Rogue.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 am

I'm far more likely to buy a Goose Island beer than a Rogue beer. Most of my beer drinking friends aren't picky at all, but I will make a big deal about 2 month + old IPAs that my friends think tastes really good. So far the only beer that has been drank at my house that people disliked was a Lips of Faith beer which was either the Yuzu fruit one or the Pluot one. I didn't mind it, but it wasn't that great of a beer.

I had this beer tonight and was really impressed with how it changes with a year on it. Still have a 2013 and 2012 in the cellar. Will probably hold onto both until this time next year [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 7:43 am

Finally found some BCBS this year. Did a trade for the Vanilla Rye. Really happy about that.  Found the Stone Green Tea IPA and really really enjoyed it.  Picked up a BA barleywine from The Bruery called Mash.  Ever since getting this job going I've been able to add to my cellar for the first time in a very long time.  Found The Dissident at an inflated price. Dude talked to me and said Deschutes doesn't have a Bay Area rep so there's hardly any stores asking their distributor about new beers that come in.  Friend bought a beer from a brewery called Grimm. The bottle artwork has two dudes in two dudes in hooded cloaks. Possible Sunn O))) reference, but it's too hard to tell.  He said it was a really solid imperial stout so I may have to try it.  Currently excited for Almanac Brewing's upcoming blueberry sour and their beer week event which will have some TRVE Brewing beer making its way over here most likely the first time ever.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 1:13 am

Gonna continue spamming.

That Almanac Sourfest was incredible. TRVE Brewing makes some great beer, Cascade makes great sours, Jester King's sour was pretty damn good while overrated (beer geek tards should probly stop going for whatever is limited thinking it's going to be the next amazing beer)
Drinking a Grapefruit Sculpin (from a can) that was canned a little under a month ago. I'm in the market for a really well hopped pale ale or a somewhat sessionable IPA that I can find regularly. but I guess that trend has already come and gone. Lately I've been complaining to myself about how the beer market has just been changing for the worst because of the people newly getting into beers that continue to buy out a store's Russian River beers and then flip them for "mad profitz" or trade them for "whales" that other loser beer drinkers are also stocking up on. If Russian River were able to ramp up production at all people would instantly say their beers have gone down in quality. Row 2 Hill 56 and Blind Pig still are way better than Pliny (elder and younger) will ever be, but Russian River doesn't brew enough of anything other than Damnation, maybe Salvation, and maybe Redemption. No one wants their beers that aren't hoppy or wild ales clearly.

I did luck out a bit the other day by getting a bottle of 3 Fonteinen's Framboos, but it really made me realize people pay out the ass for these beers again just with the intention of trading them for other "whales" or circle jerking with others about how their beer is "super ultra rare". Beer and bourbon/rye whiskey markets right now are fucking awful due to these people.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Where the FUCK are all the single beer babes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: crack open a bear   crack open a bear - Page 21 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

crack open a bear
Page 21 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21