Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

How do you feel about vocal effects? Empty
PostSubject: How do you feel about vocal effects?   How do you feel about vocal effects? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2019 9:27 pm

I know I posted about doing it in the Lance thread but I know it's a controversial thing in the metal scene. How do you feel about it?

At one point I felt it messed with the integrity of the artist. But then when Dark Castle did their second album they said something about how they were recording things they could never replicate live but wanted it to be the album they wanted to hear. The live performance is special because it's what you hear but it's a different experience.

And now Hell is probably my favorite band (if it's not obvious) and he just makes the music he wants to make. He can't replicate the albums perfectly live but it's still an experience. And that's just kind of what I do now. I know I'm not going to be playing live sets so I've kind of said 'fuck it' to no effects and all that. I want to make the album that sounds like what I hear in my head. If my vocals need tweaking, I want to do that. That song in my head is what needs to be on the cd. So, I don't know... pretty much 2 bands turned my view point around.

How do you guys feel about it?
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about vocal effects?   How do you feel about vocal effects? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Also, I'll say this has extended to other instruments.

Previous Lance releases are one guitar track on the songs per part. So there aren't really takes layered on top of each other. My music sounded weak. It was true to what I could play in the room but didn't really do the riffs justice.

Now doing Adrift... It's literally like 10 layers of guitars and a huge wall of sound. I realize I was just holding myself back for some strange reason. The music should always be first, forget the opinions of others or what they think is right. Make the album you want to make. I get I'm asking for opinions, but I think it's interesting to get different takes.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about vocal effects?   How do you feel about vocal effects? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 12:05 am

Sure, do it. There are a lot of bands that use extra layers and effects smartly. When it comes to vocals, though, it can be easily overdone. Additionally, I tend to prefer it when it's used for emphasis on only certain lines or vocal sections of songs, and then not on all songs, or even on more than one song for a specific type of effect. No need for it to become a gimmick.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about vocal effects?   How do you feel about vocal effects? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 am

In my particular case I don't really mean it as a gimmick.  I considered saving the vocal track and asking opinions on it but I closed it out.

At this point I can't even remember if I said what I did, but I actually did vocals over a Hell song pretty quickly to switch back and forth between different tracks to see which one I liked the most.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you feel about vocal effects?   How do you feel about vocal effects? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about vocal effects?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy :: General :: Music-
Jump to: