The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I (that is me)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

Title : hoardin' up

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 am

have spent a ridiculous amount of money this past year. I need to stop.

Just purchased a $365 live Coil box set. Literal box, too, with lots of other handcrafted goodies. Fourteen DVDs. It's gonna be totally awesome, but it also did huge damage to my wallet. Reason for the hefty price: handcrafted goodies, of course (really, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]); paid in pounds and the US dollar is shite; the boxes are actually coming out of Thailand, and they're shipping the boxes with a really expensive but trustworthy service to ensure delivery and safety; and, Coil's stuff is always expensive anyway because they're the indiest of indie, and in addition to doing everything themselves, they always make their products really damn good (packaging-wise, in addition to the excellent musick).

It's gonna be so rad, though. They're one of my favoritest bands of ever—shame Jhonn Balance had to die. It'd be great to have all-new material out. But since Balance's death, the other member, Peter Christopherson, along with their longtime producer Danny Hyde have mixed and produced and added to old unreleased material (like the two albums they released containing the "long lost" Nothing Studios sessions, reworked and sexified), and live CDs/vinyl records have been released, and now this glorious live DVD set containing many performances. So grand... So, so grand. Of course, none of you are going to understand what I'm getting so worked up about. (My avatar is cropped from a Coil album cover.)

Now that DSi XL will have to wait so much longer to find its way into my hands...

Last edited by Abnormal Freak on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 am

Enjoy some sex with Sun Ra:

Or some remote viewing (this isn't even half the song since it's twenty minutes):
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:57 am

The Anal Staircase!

(Shame they didn't start performing live until the early 21st century; it would be fantastic to see live performances from their mid '80s to early '90s period)

Things Happen!

Such a varied band, and yet all of their stuff has a consistent style.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:00 am

And this really amazing remix of NIN's "Gave Up":
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP
Hollow_Viscus

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

I've heard their music.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Changing the color of links changes everything. Every box, every word... everything everywhere on the board. You could just, you know, change the color yourself in the body.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm

This is ufking nutty. I've never heard Coil rock out before.

Must be Trent Reznor's influence since this is a demo from when they recorded in his studio.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:36 pm

This is how much of a deluxe packaging/limited production freak I am: I barely like much of what I've heard of Coil and I'm thinking about getting this. I'm good about not spending the money when I definitely don't have it (like, I don't go into credit card debt or anything), but as soon as I come up on some dough I blow it on junk like CDs and now also a record player/records.

I seriously got wood when I saw that wood box.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Kylesa's Static Tensions limited edition of records came in a wooden box. It was a pretty sweet deal, but I passed on it.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 1:36 am

Coil usually have very lavish packaging. They do some pretty interesting special editions, too, like multi-disc vinyl releases that are only playable on one side of each disc with the other side featuring etchings. And one vinyl release they did that wasn't actually vinyl but some cheaper substance. They recommended people not play the disc lest it break, ha ha. But it came with all this art and really cool stuff.

They used to even be super crazy with vinyl back in the day. If I were a vinyl-collecting maniac, I'd have so much to collect from them.

Check out this peculiar Coil release:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyhow, I really love this song and video:

And this song and video (by the not dead guy of Coil):

Love this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 1:51 am

Some pictures of the unplayable The Ape of Naples release:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Description: "The Racing Green edition consists of three one-sided acetates in a wooden box, handmade and painted by Ian Johnstone."

Yeah, so they're [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], not vinyl, and apparently the needle of a commercial record player would potentially crack/ruin them as they're very light and fragile.

Only 23 copies made. Crazy mofos.

And that's why I, as a Coil fan, would be flat-busted broke if I were into collecting records. They do this kind of stuff with a lot of their albums, singles, and other releases, and have done so since their start in the early '80s.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 am

I really like Peter Christopherson as a film/music video director. Gotta love his "March of the Pigs" video, of course.

That Threshold HouseBoys Choir video above is by him.

Then there's this rather recent video he did of a mid '80s Coil song for a release of Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom, since this song is about Pasolini's death:

The guy is so delightfully pretentious and yet not at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I (that is me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I (that is me)   I (that is me) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I (that is me)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: