The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wanna inform me of what I should do?

Go down 
+4
Abnormal Freak
Hollow_Viscus
roughdraft_zero
Loxx O)))
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

Wanna inform me of what I should do? Empty
PostSubject: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 am

Just got this email from bandcamp:

The artist name used at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was the subject of a trademark infringement claim we received from Kieston L Reece (see below). Kieston L Reece has asserted ownership of this name and that you were using it without permission to do so. Please update your artist name at your convenience. To submit a counter-notice, please provide the following information:

A physical or electronic signature of the content provider, member or user;

A statement that the content provider, member or user has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the material; and

Content provider's, member's or user's name, address, telephone number, and, if available, e-mail address and a statement that such person or entity consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal Court for the judicial district in which the content provider's, member's or user's address is located, or if the content provider's, member's or user's address is located outside the United States, for any judicial district in which Company is located, and that such person or entity will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.

As stated in our Terms of Use, repeated incidents of infringement will result in the termination of your Bandcamp.com registered account and a prohibition on your uploading of content to or selling content through Bandcamp in the future. We also reserve the right to terminate users suspected of infringing intellectual property rights upon the first incident without further notice, at our sole discretion. For more information about how we respect intellectual property rights, please read the Terms of Use located at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sincerely,
Bandcamp, Inc.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Subject: Copyright/Trademark Infringement
To: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To whom it may concern,

My name is Kieston L. Reece, and I am the United States Trademark owner for the stage name "Prophecy" under the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The identification of this information can be found on the uspto.com website under registered trademark number 85259340.(http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4005:tm4loj.2.Cool. I own all audio recordings featuring music, digital downloadable music from the internet, downloadable musical sound recordings, and downloable music via the internet and wireless devices under the name "Prophecy" and am currently being infringed by multiple artists on your site. The following url's are violators of the accusation due to exact naming or naming liknesses:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

After these accounts are successfully removed or renamed, I will upload my music on your site and fully utilize the sevices that bandcamp.com has to offer.

My contact information is as follows:
Kieston L Reece
103 Springbok Dr
Harvest, AL 35749
256-288-7788

I swear under penalty of perjury that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed, and that the information in this notification is accurate. I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law

/Kieston L. Reece/
August 25, 2012
--
Prophecy
Lyricist/Producer/CEO of Pinnacle Music Group

----

So... what the fuck? My artist name is Noise Redemption Prophecy. So bandcamp deleted my artist name and is telling me I have to change my name. Why, exactly? This guy says his name is "Prophecy". That doesn't mean no one else in the world can't have the word 'prophecy' in their name.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 am

Never shoulda moved. Woulda been closer to Alabama to kick this dumbfuck's teeth in.

Uh, I dunno. Write a letter back that says, "Are you fucking shitting me?"

[edit]: actually, wait--contact info? Including full name, address and PHONE NUMBER. The answer is easy. Internet that shit.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:45 am

It says I have to provide all this contact information like my phone number and address. I'd really rather not give that to bandcamp. I think this is pretty ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 am

Eh... this is the email I wrote back:

The person in question specifically says that they use the stage name 'Prophecy.' As my artist name is 'Noise Redemption Prophecy' I don't see how this pertains to me or how I'm infringing upon their rights. So really, I'm inquiring to see if it's really necessary for me to give up my personal information to Bandcamp as I don't see how I'm infringing on this individual's rights.

---

If they tell me I do have to give them that information I'm probably just going to delete the profile because that's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP
Hollow_Viscus

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 am

It probably flags everything that has Prophecy in the name, you'll probably be OK.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 am

I just don't get people, man.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:10 am

I'm gonna trademark the word "The" and perform under it.

Then I'm gonna ask every group in the world with "The" in their name to take it out or I sue their asses.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:11 am

The The will of course be doubly butt-fucked if Matt Johnson doesn't comply.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 am

I lol'd.

If people are so worried about other people having similar names, why don't they just think of something more original?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:23 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Never shoulda moved. Woulda been closer to Alabama to kick this dumbfuck's teeth in.

Uh, I dunno. Write a letter back that says, "Are you fucking shitting me?"

[edit]: actually, wait--contact info? Including full name, address and PHONE NUMBER. The answer is easy. Internet that shit.
Just now saw your edit. Well, I don't see anything about it doing a quick search on google. I'm guessing the logic is so they can pursue legal action if you're found to be infringing... which... why would I do that? I mean, they could find out anyway, but still. I'm not giving that info up and I'll just delete the account if it's necessary.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 am

No, I mean you have that shithead's contact info. Splatter that shit all over the webs, for the minions to do what they will.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP
Hollow_Viscus

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Something like give it to 4chan.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I have no minions. I did look him up. I even saw a picture of his house, lol. That's another reason why I don't want to give my info to Bandcamp. On their site it says they have the right to forward my email back to the original party. Fuck that.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah this sounds like total bullshit. Lets all mail him jars of piss and shit.
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP
Iangorge

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:
I'm gonna trademark the word "The" and perform under it.

Then I'm gonna ask every group in the world with "The" in their name to take it out or I sue their asses.

tuggernuts wrote:
Yeah this sounds like total bullshit. Lets all mail him jars of piss and shit.

Both of these are great ideas.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan
X-pert74

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 am

What a load of shit. This is on the level of Tim Langdell trying to force every video game company to not use the word "edge" by claiming it infringes on his trademark of Edge Games.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 pm

His case is utter bullshit and bandcamp are just obliging because they know it'll be cheaper than if he actually decides to take legal action (regardless of whether or not it will hold up).

That said, I'd check with some more informed people.

Like after a snappy google I found this:

or I'm sure reddit.com/r/law has a tip on where to turn for some quality advice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanna inform me of what I should do?   Wanna inform me of what I should do? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanna inform me of what I should do?
Page 1 of 1