The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?

Go down 
+3
Cghost21
tuggernuts
roughdraft_zero
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 pm

yep. doesn't work again.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Tried the factory reset from the ip webpage. Didn't do shit, again.

I'm so fucking furious. For real. Fuck these routers. Why the fuck are they so fucking difficult? Plug and fucking play, bitch.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 am

Most routers are that simple. Razz

Since its for your retarded roommate, why care? lol
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 am

Meaning what? Meaning I'm royally fucking up or from what I've transcribed you agree that I'm having an unjustly difficult time with this bitch?

And I still care because he talks like he won't split the internet bill since he can't use it. Sounds halfway logical, I'll admit, but I've also said to him that I'm obviously doing my part to try and make it work and he hasn't done shit. He also talked about buying a new router that would hopefully actually work, and I told him that I wouldn't split the cost for that because I have the desktop and don't need wireless, and I was the one who brought this router in entirely on my own.

It's all just a bunch of bullshit.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm

That you're having an unjustly difficult time. Sounds fucked up, I don't really know what else you could try.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Every router I've ever had or had to use has been problematic. Either connection issues like this or constantly just going in and out of connectivity. It's part of what makes me hate laptops.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Sorry. That router sucks. Seriously. My girlfriend has one and I had to flash the bitch with custom firmware. I recommend updating the firmware on the router itself. You can find that shit right here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Find out what Version you have ( should be on the bottom of your router ), download the firmware, go into your router and find the Update section, should be under administration or something. I don't understand why you have so many issues with routers. You put in the disc, and for the most part, it's all automated. You select your SSID, your password, your encryption technique, and that shit works.

If that update doesn't work, I'll write up a little how-to guide for flashing over DD-WRT, because that's the best.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah, like I said, the times when using the thing brand new it at least installs ok and devices can connect, but there's always speed and disconnect problems, and sometimes adding additional device problems. When moving and using one that was in a different setup before and trying to reconfigure/reinstall the things they just flat out don't work.

And when you say that the router sucks, do you say that only because of that one experience your girlfriend has, and was her problem similar to mine or was it producing different problems? Or have you just heard about a lot of problems from other people about it, and if so, again, were those problems the same as mine?

I'll try the update sometime today and see if that does anything.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Yeah, like I said, the times when using the thing brand new it at least installs ok and devices can connect, but there's always speed and disconnect problems, and sometimes adding additional device problems. When moving and using one that was in a different setup before and trying to reconfigure/reinstall the things they just flat out don't work.

And when you say that the router sucks, do you say that only because of that one experience your girlfriend has, and was her problem similar to mine or was it producing different problems? Or have you just heard about a lot of problems from other people about it, and if so, again, were those problems the same as mine?

I'll try the update sometime today and see if that does anything.

It sucks because Linksys can't properly code firmware nor engineer boards correctly. I've had firmware issues with their routers since like 2003. I'm actually running a Linksys router right now, and this thing has like 3 months of uptime on custom firmware -- it's great. Your particular router, however, on stock firmware, is trash. The problems were pretty much the same -- random disconnects shortly after connection, inability to connect, etc. Next time this happens, open up command prompt ( Start -> run -> cmd ) and type ipconfig /registerdns. See if that helps.

Back to top Go down
Clinton70

Clinton70

Title : Notorious Clintorious

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 am

Do you like linksys the best?

I gotta get a new one probably. Don't have a huge budget but don't want a shitty one.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 am

Ok, clicked that link you gave cincers and it was a page I had already been to before. Am I just going to the "downloads" section on that menu and downloading the firmware labeled:

07/12/2010

Ver.3.0.03 Build 3

or am I supposed to go to the forums and getting "custom firmware" like you did? And if it's the latter, what's the name/version of the firmware I need?

Also, how do I do a firmware upgrade? Just make sure the router's plugged in normally and click the link?
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 am

You download the file to your computer. Then in your router's web interface there should be a section to update the firmware, where you browse to the file on your computer and it will load it.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 am

Do what tuggernuts said. You'll download the latest version to your computer (preferably your desktop so you don't have to go looking for it very far), and navigate to the Firmware Upgrade section of your routers interface (should be under Administration or something). Then just browse for the file and upload it. After that you'll need to power cycle to refresh your DHCP table and refresh the cache/dns, but your 'pooter should automatically do that. Otherwise type in the command I recommended above.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 1:48 am

ok, finally went ahead and did the firmware upgrade. Pretty sure it didn't truly work lol. This is where I am now:

Can get the laptop to connect, and for the first time it didn't take an hour+ and dozens of connect attempts, just two or three and I think that's probably even because I may have just been too hasty in trying to connect before it could totally finish configuring. But even though it connects, it connects in the same way it did before: to multiple networks, which like the two times before when this happened, even that only lasted for a few hours or a day at the most and then it just went back to flat out not working at all again.

What the fucker's doing is it takes the network I made, somehow makes or imagines another one with the same name but adds a "2" on the end, and connects to both. Then when I look on my desktop's wireless networks I see the one I made, but instead of a duplicate with a "2" on the end, there's just a generic, non-secured "linksys" network, which I for sure know mine. Why in the fuck is this thing broadcasting two or more networks?

Also, this is the easiest connect I've made so far, but not only is there the problem with the multiple network shit again, but it's slow as fucking balls. Even when it "worked" in this weird way before with the multiple network bullshit it moved at a decent speed. Now Google main page is taking about twenty seconds to load, and a search result took about a minute. Wikipedia took two minutes.

Does this sound like something anybody's heard before? If so, is it something that the firmware upgrade should have fixed? Or is that custom firmware thing you were talking about something that would work? I've put so much fucking time and effort into this bitch already I'm damn near fucking done, to be honest. And I'm assuming that me doing such a thing as installing and running "custom firmware" is something that is just WAY too over my head, but maybe not.

While typing all this I went into the laptop's network and sharing center and clicked "customize" next to the network name and found a way to merge the networks so that it's just the one, and I got rid of that "2" at the end. But the bitch is still putting out two signals from what I can tell, cuz I still see the generic unsecured "linksys" network. I'm assuming I'm, overall at least, still in the same spot I was before and that it's working temporarily before it decides to go on it's period again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?   Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any nerds that know shit 'bout routers and to make them just fucking work?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2