The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

You know what I love about this place?

Go down 
+10
Hollow_Viscus
roughdraft_zero
RespawnedDemon
tuggernuts
Electroretard
Shrike
GROCERIES
Ancient Rune
possybending
Abnormal Freak
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

Title : hoardin' up

You know what I love about this place? Empty
PostSubject: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:19 am

Well, and actually, it's not specifically "this place," but the IGN Metal board and all (most of) you regulars:

I can tell you that the shit you like is ultra faggy and retarded, and mean it (which I do two-thirds of the time), and you all can say the same about a lot of the things that I dig (which some of you do) and be absolutely sincere about it...and in the end...nobody's fucking crying about it.

I post at these other boards and people start sniveling and getting their panties in a bunch over civilized disagreements. And if it goes anything beyond civilized mannerisms, even just the slightest quip, usually board mods come in and say, "THIS JUST WILL NOT DO."

So fuck you guys. You like a lot of horseshit and you're mostly all retarded a grand majority of the time. But y'know what? I love youse guys. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:29 am

This also extends into my personal life. A lot of my friends over the years have gotten real wound-up over an opinion I hold, and I'm not even being an aggressive douchebag about it, and they'll cry and say, "YOU JUST SAY AND THINK THINGS THE WAY YOU DO BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE DIFFERENT, AND WAH WAH BLAH BLAH SANDINMYVAGINA FUCKITY-DOO-DAH!" By this point I can't even count how many people have done this to me. I mean, sure, I have a standard by which I judge things, and if something's not to my liking, I don't like it, but I don't go up to people's faces and stick my nose up or exude an air about me that speaks, "I'm superior to you." I mean, fuck, all because I simply say I don't really care for something instead of saying, "It's just not my thing, man"? And is it really so hard to believe that differing people like differing things, and that perhaps some people fall into more of a fringe category of likes and interests?

And it's usually those people who fucking ask me what I think about something, and get all butthurt when I say it don't interest me. Come on...
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP
possybending

Title : Inspecteur

Character sheet
Name: Possy
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 am

People don't like not getting confirmation biases, especially when it comes to interests. That's why people branch out to people who otherwise they do not like just because of a like-interest. When you add to it that people also have a difficulty hearing someone say something they like is not good to you (especially if you don't say "imo" or any form of that in the comment), you set up the situation you describe.

In person, people generally (and everyone does it with something, you'd be cast out of society if you didn't) shape your response to the people in your group. The moment someone renegades that system it affects the group's solidarity. Durkheim Functionalism if you will. While you don't believe that you're really insulting the interests of others, you must realize that the way you relay that information will not give the colleague the impression that you're saying "I personally don't like it, but if you do have fun with it". It's silly, but people will instead believe that you not only hate what they're interested in, but that you think worse of them for listening to it too. That's what will label you as an elitist.

It's hypocritical, in a way as they don't realize they do the absolute same thing with how they'll tell you that they think your interests suck or aren't cool (that are considered niche things like metal or b-horror-movies). Of course, they wont believe it or understand that they're doing that because their opinion fits the majority, which convinces people that it's therefore true or fact instead of still an opinion (remember I was telling you about confirmation bias). It's very common in metal, since it's not popular people are very well convinced that it's a) not good and b) people that like it do not have good tastes. Despite everyone's arrogance in how "accepting" they are, they still prejudice everything in their life based on experiences and something like this will be a black and white sort of "acceptable or not".

Solution: Take the high road, or throw it back in their faces (pleasantly) when they pull on you what they think you end up pulling on them. Politely reiterate to them that it's your opinion on these things, that it's not an insult just to have someone disagree with a specific interest. Follow that up with relating to them that just because an interest of yours aren't popular does not equal that thing being not good, that even the Majority opinion is still an opinion (and a very fluid one at that, as people change so frequently on their likes and dislikes). Perhaps even have them realize that they may be slaves of popular opinion, not to stop them but to allow them to realize that something they like may not be something you know right away, it's inherited from others in some way or another.

Last edited by possybending on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited for elitism review)
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 am

I just want to see stories of you taking shits and farting
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

GROCERIES

Title : sux

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 am

Ancient Rune wrote:
I just want to see stories of you taking shits and farting

Pretty much the only reason I post here.

Also, I completely agree with everything you said in your first post.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

Shrike

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Like it or not, there's a difference between saying "Thrash sucks" and "I don't like thrash". You might mean the same thing, but the interpretation on the other end might be very different.

Whenever I plug Liturgy, which I do from time to time, most people will say they suck. I'm pretty much a relativist on most issues and realise that it's just an opinion, so I never take offense, though I happen to love the band.

However, a surprising number of people never make that distinction. If you write something as an objective statement, people will probably take offense.

If you actually do say "I don't like them/that's not my thing" etc. and they still get their panties in a bunch they have a problem. Thing is, it's always really hard to judge how you come off on the other side of the conversation.

Subjective realities suck.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 12:37 pm

This thread is now about Liturgy sucking.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Liturgy fucking sucks balls.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I normally don't say something sucks. I have a "friend" (he's actually a giant douchenozzle so I've been avoiding him) who gets suuuuper excited over certain things, which are just SO AWESOME it's impossible for me to dislike 'em. I try not to really say anything unless he specifically asks, "What do you think about this?" to which my response is usually something like, "I don't really care for it, to be honest." He seems to think I'm just being stuck-up about something and not liking it because I wanna go against the grain. Yeah, he's a dickweed, which is why I don't hang out with him. Same dude who broke my ankle, too.
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP
possybending

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 pm

People are always like that though. Confirmation bias, we want people to agree with the things we like or want.

We do that here, Devin Townsend has stuff like that. Of course, you have guys who troll those threads so you can take what I say for a grain of salt, but for the dick-riders like us we tend to get angry when someone doesn't admit that DT is the greatest thing ever.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:
I normally don't say something sucks. I have a "friend" (he's actually a giant douchenozzle so I've been avoiding him) who gets suuuuper excited over certain things, which are just SO AWESOME it's impossible for me to dislike 'em. I try not to really say anything unless he specifically asks, "What do you think about this?" to which my response is usually something like, "I don't really care for it, to be honest." He seems to think I'm just being stuck-up about something and not liking it because I wanna go against the grain. Yeah, he's a dickweed, which is why I don't hang out with him. Same dude who broke my ankle, too.

I get overly excited about anything having to do with dragons or Kurt. Does that make me a bad person?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Everything you do makes you a bad person, and you thinking that you're ever cute or funny or have anything redeeming about you at all makes you an idiot.
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

GROCERIES

Title : sux

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Everything you do makes you a bad person, and you thinking that you're ever cute or funny or have anything redeeming about you at all makes you an idiot.

inb4hesayssomethinglike"thanks,r_z.iloveyoutoo"
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm

I'd say, "Don't make him cry, guys," BUT WE ALL KNOW HE HAS 500 FRIENDS AND DOESN'T HAVE ANY INVESTMENT IN US AND OUR OPINIONS, RIGHT?
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP
Hollow_Viscus

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

He'll never cry. He's the Hiawa of the metal board.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 10:16 pm

My mommy once told me big boys don't cry, but she never said anything about weeping.......
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Seriously, are you getting worse?
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 am

.............yeah........
Back to top Go down
IAmHeavenSent

IAmHeavenSent

Character sheet
Name: Cuddy
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:17 pm

possybending wrote:
People are always like that though. Confirmation bias, we want people to agree with the things we like or want.

We do that here, Devin Townsend has stuff like that. Of course, you have guys who troll those threads so you can take what I say for a grain of salt, but for the dick-riders like us we tend to get angry when someone doesn't admit that DT is the greatest thing ever.

Confirmation bias, in psychology, at least, is more like we only seek out and take in opinions that agree with our own. Like, if I think the world will end in 2012, I'll google information supporting that but never ever look up anything that would refute the idea. So yeah, in a round-about way, we want people to agree with the things we agree with... but in confirmation bias, people would stop asking abby his opinion if he always disagrees.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Or a more advanced version of confirmation bias is where you readily accept information that supports your beliefs without any further consideration of its determination or source, but when you are presented with information that disagrees with your beliefs, you analyze it until you can find any minor (and usually meaningless) issue in the determination of the information. You then tell yourself that ignoring the information is justified, even though you could similarly find "problems" with all of the information that supports your beliefs.
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP
possybending

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 pm

jeffnogo wrote:
Or a more advanced version of confirmation bias is where you readily accept information that supports your beliefs without any further consideration of its determination or source, but when you are presented with information that disagrees with your beliefs, you analyze it until you can find any minor (and usually meaningless) issue in the determination of the information. You then tell yourself that ignoring the information is justified, even though you could similarly find "problems" with all of the information that supports your beliefs.
It works for both descriptions, but it can be connected in numerous other ways. It also works in the way that we create relationships through the interest of finding people that agree with an interest.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP
Hollow_Viscus

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Take this education shiz to another thread. We're all dummies here.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan
X-pert74

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 6:37 am

I generally phrase things in a way which won't offend others... generally. I also usually avoid discussing music with people, because it's such a divisive topic. I don't have a problem discussing movies or TV or even games (not all my friend like video games, but those who do generally like at least some of the same games I do), but when it comes to music it's rare that I'll meet anyone who even likes some metal; let alone metal that I listen to. With a couple exceptions, everyone I speak with about metal I only know through the internet. Because of that I usually don't bring up music in general, because it's 98% guaranteed I won't have anything to talk about with someone in that subject.

Abnormal Freak wrote:

He broke your ankle? How? Why?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 am

The guy fell on his leg from what I recall.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Abnormal Freak
VIP
Abnormal Freak

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 pm

He was being a doofy d-bag, thought it would be funny to pull some gay WWF bowlsheet on me, picked me up over his shoulders, dropped me down on the snow, and simultaneously dropped himself with me and landed his fat ass on my leg while it was positioned funny. Snapped my fibula near the ankle. I haven't hung out with him solo since (only seen him other times 'cos he lives with my good friend), because he was being a real big asshole about it, making cracks like, "Maybe you should have drank more milk, bitch, so you'd have some healthy bones, GUFFAW GUFFAW." The fat fuck.

But, I wasn't hanging out with him anyway 'cos I haven't liked him all that much for years, lol. It's just that the breaking my ankle and being a complete butthole about it pretty much sealed the deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You know what I love about this place?   You know what I love about this place? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You know what I love about this place?
Page 1 of 1