The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.
The Dark Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The9thCircle.boards.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
seepia.

seepia.

Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 pm

So my friend decided to donate his in-working-condition turntable to me and I've actually wanted to start collecting vinyl for quite some time. I have some speakers and I do have a receiver, but it's a more modern one. I know that most record players (including this one) have phono outputs, but my receiver doesn't seem to. Reading up on it a bit, I found out that most modern ones don't seem to have phono inputs anymore and that buying a pre-amp would provide a solution to my problem. Thing is, I have no idea what I should be looking for because I see them go for anywhere from 50 dollars to a couple grand. Do any of you have experience with this kind of stuff and can maybe recommend a good reliable preamp that won't be a hole in my pocket?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 am

You're sure that they're phono outputs? Are they actually labeled as such? Is there any switch near them? Sometimes it can actually be toggled. If you find that the player has a switch for it at all, that means that it actually has a built-in phono pre-amp, like many of the more modern players do, and it can be plugged into any line (CD, DVD, etc.) input, with no need for an outboard pre-amp, though it's usually still an option that some audiophiles choose to take for superior quality.

If it definitely only has phono outs and your receiver definitely has no phono ins, then yeah you definitely need the pre-amp. You don't need much. I'd say keep it around $60-100 and with trusted brands like Audio Technica, NAD, Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audio, etc..

Even more important than the quality of the pre-amp is the quality of your cartridge/stylus (needle). Ask your friend if he ever upgraded/replaced it, and if not, or if once you get it set up and you notice that the records pop and crack a lot or just in general sound like shit, then that's an even better investment than an overly expensive pre-amp.
Back to top Go down
seepia.

seepia.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Alright, cool. Yeah I already knew about the cartridge/needle replacement thing considering this thing is pretty old and he did use it extensively back in the day. For the pre-amp, that's good because 60-100 dollars was my price range anyways lol.

I'll definitely keep those brands in mind, thanks a bunch.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

RZ is the resident record mother fucker.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Shrike

Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm

When I get a proper job I'm definitely investing in a Pro-Ject machine and a solid stereo cabinet. I already collect vinyl, but I'm stuck with my GFs crappy Panasonic so I rarely listen to any of them.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:24 pm

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III USB and I love it. Starting to think I should have given up on the USB part of it since I never use it, and saved the extra $150 and just gotten the base Debut III model, or put the $150 towards a higher-end model. I'm still plenty pleased with it though, obviously.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:27 pm

One day I hope to get a record player. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
seepia.

seepia.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Yeah for now I'm just gonna go with the Fisher from the 80s that my friend donated to me. Anything new/better older ones are just way over my head in price right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?   Anyone know much about record players and setting them up? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone know much about record players and setting them up?
Page 1 of 1